Online Website Resources
- Alcohol Screening.org: Online self-screening tool to help you assess your drinking patterns, and learn about alcohol consumption & health.
- Check Your Drinking 3.0: CheckYourDrinking.net is a personalized quiz that helps you understand how much you drink compared to others.
- Rethinking Drinking: Alcohol and Your Health NIAAA site presents evidence-based information about risky drinking patterns, the alcohol content of drinks, and the signs of an alcohol problem, along with information about medications and other resources to help people who choose to cut back or quit drinking.
- Your First Step to Change: DrinkingOnline self-change toolkit from Harvard Medical School
- Alcohol Cost Calculator: The human and economic consequences of alcohol problems are staggering on a national scale. They are the third leading cause of preventable death in America, they destroy millions of families, they rob millions of young people of their futures and they drain $186 billion from our economy every year. Yet few people know how much alcohol problems cost at the community or company level
- Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth (CAMY): at Georgetown UniversityCAMY monitors the marketing practices of the alcohol industry to focus attention and action on industry practices that jeopardize the health and safety of America's youth. Reducing high rates of underage alcohol consumption and the suffering caused by alcohol-related injuries and deaths among young people requires using the public health strategies of limiting the access to and the appeal of alcohol to underage persons.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA): Pamphlets, brochures, surveillance reports, research monographs, in English and Spanish, and Alcohol Alerts
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD): Prevention, intervention, research, and treatment information on alcoholism and other drug addictions. Publications, facts, links to further resources, and awareness materials.
- Underage Drinking in Iowa--the Facts - Drinking is a causal factor in a host of serious problems, including homicide, suicide.
- Economic Costs of Excessive Alcohol Consumpion in the United States, 2006 CDC
- Close to Home - PBS series companion to "Moyers on Addiction." Understanding and treating addiction, controversial policy issues, lesson plans for teachers, and a 13-issue soap opera comic-book series for teens.
- Alcohol Dependence or Abuse and Age at First Use - statistics from the NSDUH report. Indicates that delayed alcohol use linked to fewer problems with abuse as adults.
- Alcohol and Stress - Research article in Alcohol Research & Health, Volume 23, Number 4, 1999
- StopAlcoholAbuse.Gov: A comprehensive portal of Federal resources for information on underage drinking and ideas for combating this issue (For parents, educators, community-based organizations, and youth)
- Alcohol Policies Project: From the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI); to promote a comprehensive, prevention-oriented policy stragety to change the role of alcohol in society. Fact Sheets.
©2017 -- Iowa Department of Public Health -- (515) 281-7689. A Web Application by Informatics, Inc.